Frankford was established in 1808 by the founding of a country store, Long’s Store on Vines Branch. At first, Frankford was a part of a plantation belonging to David Long; it was called “Forest Flower” around c.1750. Then in a land grant, as part of a plantation, it was called “Partnership” in c. 1775. In c. 1800, the area was referred to as “Jacob’s Mill Pond”. It acquired the recognition as Long’s Store on Vine’s Branch in c. 1808. By c. 1812, most people knew the area as Gum’s Store. Around c. 1848, most people were calling it the Town of Frankford, even though we have definite proof it was Frankford as early as c. 1820. Regardless of what the Town has been referred to by title, the founding or settlement of the Town originates around the Old country Store, owned by Isaiah Long on Vine’s Branch. The Town has been the home to quite a few noteworthy sea captains such as Captain John E. Harmon, Capt. Ebe T. Chandler, Capt. Robert Dasey, and Capt. Joshua Townsend. Three of the sea captains homes are still present today.
There were several forms of transportation used throughout the history of the Town of Frankford. The first major form of transportation was the use of Vine’s Branch Canal developed as a utilized waterway. Then came the development of roads commonly referred to as “overland routes”. A new development in transportation came along as the railroad. Utilizing the railroad as a form of transportation enabled the residents to prosper and create industry. There was a shift in businesses from the water transportation venue to closer to the railroad end of town.
Lastly, was the development of the highway by Coleman DuPont in 1924 which ran the entire length of the State of Delaware. This allowed for cross state traveling, heavier load capacity and inter-locking highways to adjoining states.